Wednesday, July 9, 2014

NOTES ON SHOOT FOR THE STARS

My fourth novel, Shoot For The Stars, is now out on Amazon/B&N/and for order via national bookstores. It’s always a slow process when you’re an independent writer, but the positive reviews and remarks have been pouring in from early readers, so I’m quite encouraged. 
I’d also like to thank my dad, Al Mancheski, who we listed as “co-author.” I told the story in my father’s voice and it’s his story, so why not? This makes him the only 93 year old first time novelist in the nation. So congrats to Coach Al!!
Last Wednesday I did an interview on WNFL’s Maino & Nick morning sports talk radio show. (Might be available on their podcast) I’d like to thank John Maino for the concise and spot-on questions regarding the story. One of the questions was: What prompted me to turn away from writing crime fiction and write a non-fiction football book? Easy answer: having grown up in Green Bay and having a father as a football coach, and having played football at old East High/City Stadium, I have always wanted to write a sports novel. When I searched for topics, the Packers and old Packers’ history just naturally fell into place. But I didn’t want to write anything about my own experiences with the team (1990s), or the done-to-death Lombardi Era. So I decided to go way back in Green Bay football history and emphasize the Curly Lambeau era, instead. Then I decided that instead of a simple sports story (full of facts and figures and game highlights), I wanted to focus more on characters and personalities. This then became the genesis of Shoot For The Stars.
The story is more about the people involved, than a mere football book. Curly Lambeau comes to life as a character; and the relationship between Tom Hearden and his wife, Marion, becomes a thread throughout the book. This is how people evolve through the years, couples make decisions together, and I wanted to emphasize the loving side of their family and marriage rather than simply the football side. Also, Tom Hearden’s rise through the coaching ranks could not have happened without Dominic Olejniczak and Jim Crowley (his old high school friends), so I enjoyed the way the interplay of their relationships played out. 
All in all, I’m pleased with the story. I wanted it to read more like the basketball novel “Hoosiers,” than a facts and figures book. With the excellent reviews beginning to pour in (see Kirkus Reviews on What’s New yellow link on left), and with the help of my father, I think we’ve accomplished that. 
Hope you enjoy Shoot For The Stars. I’m always happy to answer questions about the Packers—old time or new—or the book, or writing questions in general. Always remember to be good in the huddle, Janson.

No comments:

Post a Comment