Tuesday, January 24, 2012

SO YOU WANT TO WRITE A MURDER MYSTERY: HERE’S SOME ADVICE

The above was the question posed to me for the purpose of this blog. Instead, I’ve decided to move “off script.” After the journey I’ve taken exploring the writing field since 2006 (agent/publisher searches, POD, e-books, et cetera) I felt it more pertinent — and far more interesting — to render my thoughts on the nature of writing a fiction novel in today’s turbulent world of book publishing.
First off, before you even venture into what will prove to be (at the very least) a year-long task, you have to ask yourself the primary question: Am I doing this for fun or for profit?
If writing for fun, it is far easier – and less stressful – simply to keep a journal or a creative diary. If you’re in it for the sheer pleasure of putting your thoughts and ideas on paper, then blogging offers today’s writers a unique and personal creative outlet. On the other hand, let’s say you’ve decided to attempt writing a novel. Your desire, of course, will be that as many people as possible read your work.
I won’t bore you with statistics here, but during my research I uncovered a few surprising facts: in the U.S. last year, 190,000 new titles were printed. This is a combination of traditional and digital POD (print on demand). Non-fiction (self-help, memoirs, historical, biographical) far outsells fiction these days. 90% of books published by traditional publishing houses (major New York publishers and independents) either break even or (more likely) lose money. What this means is that the days of large advances to authors are essentially over. A whimsical thing of the past.
(* I understand there are exceptions, but I’m talking in generalities for the sake of this blog.)
These days, a writer is expected not only to write their book, but to get out in the trenches and “market the hell” out of it. “But I don’t have the time to do all this marketing,” you might protest. “I’m too busy working on my second book.” Here I’m chuckling, because that’s exactly how I thought. My friends, the days of Stephen King are history. After SK wrote “Carrie” he immediately began writing his second, third, and fourth books. Now days his publisher would demand he set up a “Carrie” website. It would be strongly suggested that he begin blogging about “Carrie” on Facebook, and other social networking sites. In essence, he’d be required to spend his next year marketing and promoting to increase “Carrie” sales. 
Brian Freeman, noted bestseller of mystery/suspense novels, reveals his profit margins on his web/blog. (Thank you, Brian.) He indicates that he makes approximately $2/hardcover and $.50/mass market paperback. This from a noted and successful author. Thus with many new author’s sales hovering at less than 2000 copies, novice writers expecting to “break into the field” have to ask themselves: Is the time/energy/stress of a year of my life worth the end result of $2 – 4000 in profit?
I stated the primary question above: Are you in it for the love of writing, or the money? In my own case, my stories are a labor of love. But every writer, novice or seasoned professional, must search his/her own soul for the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment